Saturday, October 11, 2008

Kareoke? C'est Vrai!

Coucou! J’espère que ton week-end passes bien ! Je veux parler à la vie quand je partage une tasse du café avec toi, mais ce n’est pas possible ce week-end. Alors, ici...

I’m a sharer.. I think it is difficult to be here from time to time because I just want to share this experience in its entirety with the ones I love. Even just to cuddle up over a large cup of coffee and chat about our days would be like water for my soul. Instead, I will blog and try to get some pictures up.

So today I finally went into the Bio’C’Bon store near my home! Bio = Organic in France. It was so much fun! Ok, I realize I am a huge nerd, but really it was like going on a field trip ☺ they even had a ‘sans gluten’ section (mom that made me miss you so much!) I bought a few snacky things that I could bring to school or something- anything would be better than making the trip to the boulangerie between classes! I think my favorite buy was the South African rooibos tea- sooo good! I am on this tea kick right now. I looove making a big bowl of tea (yes I said bowl.. they have their coffee or tea in bowls here in the morning.. ive turned it into an anytime of day thing) and after its steeped put in a little milk. Just the thing I need while I cozy up to my desk to work on mes devoirs (hw), which is what I am going to do after this post.

Last night was my night to choose the restaurant. I chose this Moroccan restaurant in the marais district.. Unfortunately I didn’t realize dinner begins pretty late there and we had a rendez-vous with hillsong people later. So instead we jumped a few streets over and went to The Studio- the restaurant in the café de la gare (the one next to the dance studio online lindso!) Its funny cuz it is frenchified Mexican food haha Totally fun atmosphere and the fajitas were good. Nothing to rave about, but a fun experience.

Due to the Hillsong Europe conference in London this weekend, instead of having church services this Friday church was a bunch of different get-togethers around Paris in different venues. Mariko and I headed over to Le Rive Doigt,- the restaurant where the hospitality team had decided on meeting. Definitely did a little karaoke lol The funny thing is the English songs that are really popular here are not in the US, and vice versa. So all the old songs I thought would be fun to sing they had no idea and then when I finally got talked in to joining a group singing a really popular Mariah Carey song- I didn’t know it AT ALL! Haha Oh well, still a good time.

It was also really cool cuz I met a guy from Congo and we talked a little bit about how the French there is actually the same as the French here- only the Parisians speak a million times faster. So that was encouraging and just another reminder why I need to focus and put forth more effort into improving my French. I am just taking (aka trying to take) Shelby’s advice to heart about getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. I need to continue asking questions and not just nod my head and pretend like I understand haha, which is so tempting, and I fall into doing it until I realize they asked a question and expect a response. Oops! Haha Something that has taken me by surprise here is that just about every french person has been painfully patient with me- it’s the native English speakers that don’t want to be patient! You would think they would be the ones with more understanding but about 75% of the time that has not been the case. Similar to every French grammar lesson, there are always exceptions.

Fun weekend. Fun people. God is good. I miss you all.

Bisous!

No comments: