Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Bonnes Fetes!

Joyeux Noel! I know Im late on the ball, but I just enjoyed being "disconnected" the last week in the south of France :) Our Christmas actually began last sunday afternoon in Paris. Not all of the family was able to travel south for the holiday, so our usual family sunday brunch was turned into a christmas feast. Before the food was served santa paid us a little visit and left gifts at each persons place setting. Santa even came for me! My host mamma gave me these adorable black slipper socks that had fuzzy white stripes! Then my host sister who works in thailand gave me a rosemary soap stone and a wooden elephant, both from thailand. Since probably the middle of november I had been going back and forth on what to give my family. In the end I decided on a classy pairing of pink champagne and a box of macaroons from the celebrated tea room Lauduree. Lucky for me, I had no idea what a hit it would be! The box came with all different flavors of macaroons and we all laughed as we "oooed" and "awwwed" and passed each around, everyone taking a little bite for taste.

Monday we left for the south- more specifically- we stopped in Barpeaux to have dinner with my host mothers mother-in-law, which is right next to Dordonne, before going on to pamier in the district of Ariége, where we stayed until the following monday. I now understand, before we went I had no clue. Iswear everytime we talked about christmas the location changed! Are we going to Dordonne? No, Ariége? Wait, your grandma lives in Pamier- i thought it was Ariége? I thought I was going craaazy! The south was wonderful- Bonne Mamman (grandma) lives in the foot hills of the Mountains and our view was unreal. All I really did was eat, sleep and read. And let me capitalise on all I really did was EAT. My host mom has a huge family (she is one of 7 children) and about half of them were there for the holidays. Just about every meal turned into several hrs sitting around the table chatting about anything and everything- which unfortuantely shined a light on just how much I do not know about my own country! We almost always followed the main course with cheese, then dessert and then coffee. Mmm! And lets not forget our delicious pairing of wine and champagne with everything. This girl was never hungry. I also had a bunch of "firsts" because, due to it being christmas time, we had a bunch of delicacies like foie gras and tamara. I also had a slice of homemade bouche de Noel (the traditional Christmas cake.) I couldn't help but laugh when one of the Uncles pulled out a "Recipes of South Carolina" booklet, asking me if Id make a pecan pie. Of course I did (with the help of a few other hands) and it was delicious.

On Christmas eve I went to mass with my host family, which took place in the beautiful " town church"- the same church that my host sister was married in and Madame's father was buried in, Madame told me as the service began. My host family is catholic- well, they go to a catholic church on holidays- and as I sat in the service I was transported back to Adams, MN. Don't get me wrong- I am so very thankful of the Lord and the real meaning of Christmas is very important to me- buut all I really wanted during the service was my mom and sisters to joke around with! Instead I settled for smiling to myself as an elderly women lead us in singing hymns, waving her right hand like she was instructing a choir.

I did miss home this Christmas, Dommie's plaid christmas skirt and all. I missed the hectic christmas shopping, the snow and the christmas music. I really missed going to coffee with all my girlfriends. BUT I definitely don't feel like I missed out this Christmas, not in the slightest. I am entering into this new year feeling completely blessed and thanking God for all he has provided me with. It was an amazing experience to take part in my French familys christmas traditions and feel like part of their family.

Now dont be too jealous, but my vacation is only just beginning..I leave to pick Miss Caroline up at the airport tomorrow morning at 11 and I know Im about to enter into a week long workout from laughing!!

Ill add some pics from Christmas soon..

Gros bisous à tous!

No comments: